Thursday, November 22, 2007

IF: Superstition


I've been really busy plus I have guest in my house (it's the Thanksgiving week over here!) But finally I managed to have a little time this morning to make this collage for this week's Illustration Friday and I wanted to do something related to my culture. For Chinese, it's a big NO-NO to give clocks or umbrellas as gifts, no matter how cute they are. Because in Mandarin, "clock" sounds similar to the word for "death" and "umbrella" sounds like "separation" or "splitting up". It's very important to remember this if you are doing business with Chinese, or even just casual gift-giving between friends. If you want to learn more about what to give or what not to give in Chinese culture, here is a good link to visit!

12 comments:

shaky mouse said...

really quirky piece of work.. i like the use of collage here

margot said...

this is so cool!!!!

Anonymous said...

This piece is absolutely adorable! I just love polka dots, and there are just enough here! So sweet!

Catalina Alvarez said...

Interesting superstition!
Sweet illo!
Cata

Zari said...

so cute as usual! i love to learn more about other cultures...and this chinese superstition is very interesting ;)

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet picture! I like the simple colours, and it reminds me a little of those weather clocks, with the little people who swing out depending on whether it will be rainy or fine.

jon izen said...

So killer cute! I was looking at the pendants you make and almost passed out they are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

thought you might like this....

http://megan-brain-interview.blogspot.com/

Romont Willy said...

Olá, estou admirado com seus desenhos, são criativos e lindos!

Adorei!



Hello, I am surprised with their designs are creative and Beautiful!

I loved!

tusen said...

very sweet. I like your choice of colours and patterns.

Christine Clemmensen said...

Hi Flora. I'm always so happy when you visit. I think you make such cool stuff, I always feel a little honoured when you've stopped by:) And thank you for your sweet comment.

I love your IF. What is that fabric/card board/ ? you placed your illo upon? Is it a book cover?
It's beautiful, and fun to learn about the no-no of the clock and umbrella:) I didn't know that.
Have a great weekend. xo :) C

Flora Chang said...

Christine, the red background is just some scrapbooking paper that I bought in the craft store. It has the pattern printed on it! :)